Monday, April 27, 2009

Black People Don't Do Yoga. Really?

Yes honey, it's about that time of year, the weather is getting warmer and ladies have to get bathing suit friendly. Ew. I've been excersing alot latetly, and although I'm all about the gym and the park, you've got to switch it up bit, so I decided to go to yoga. Yes, I said it, I'm going to yoga. A black woman, who is not Oprah or Gayle is going to Yoga, say what? Say yes. And do you know how hard it is trying to get one of your sista girl friends to come to yoga? It's like pulling teeth from an actorwith no health insurance. I got alot of , "what? come'on nah, you know we don't do yoga..", "or, damn, you trying to work it out like a a skinny white girl" and my favorite - "i mean, really? now isn't that like a substitute for sex or somethin'?" -- Well let's break it down for minute - why wouldn't we practice yoga? Cause it's too expensive? There are cheap places, in fact I found a place that's free, it's a suggested donation, check out www.yogatothepeople.com - Is someone losing their black card for going to yoga? I mean, what's a little stretching and heavy breathing have to do with being black? If we're getting into crazy beliefs n sh*t, then what about people telling us we shouldn't listen to rock & roll? Or have interracail relationships? Or read? Or vote? I mean please, we gonna believe everything someone tells us we should/shouldn't do? You know what other black people do yoga?



Okaaay? Music and fashion mogul, Russell Simons ...




And guess what? There's even a style of yoga called Egyptian Yoga, I mean, how black can you get it? I found it on this website, check it:http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/03/12/five-benefits-of-a-yoga-workout/

So next time bredgrin, please think twice about going to yoga and experiencing something very cute and healty! Cha mon.

Comments on "Black People Don't Do Yoga. Really?"

 

Blogger Yogababe said ... (8:29 PM) : 

Thanks for this post Michelle. Please check me at yogalightinside.blogspot.com.

I've been practicing yoga since 2000 and now teach yoga. (If you are ever in S. FL, I will give you a complimentary lesson!)

Anyway--black folks need yoga due to all the stress we carry present and past. It also helps us be grateful for the present and what we have in life. We are VERY MUCH privileged compared to the rest of the world, so yoga provides perspective, peace of mind and joy.

I think it's sad when some of our people attribute so many wonderful things in life to "being white". For instance, "nature, camping, swimming, the beach, eating healthy, etc..."

As Jay-Z said, "Can I live?!!?"

 

Blogger Hoopermazing said ... (10:41 PM) : 

You don't need to do yoga or pilates or any of that nonsense. You are fine as frog's hair, with your thickalicious self. And, if your daddy raised you speaking French, (I'm assuming he's the Haitian parent because of your surname)even better!

 

Blogger YogaFlava@gmail.com said ... (11:12 AM) : 

www.YogaFlava.com

robin@yogaflava.com

 

Blogger YogaFlava@gmail.com said ... (11:13 AM) : 

www.YogaFlava.com

robin@yogaflava.com

- Robin Downes

 

Blogger christina said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Hi michelle
I am a back britsh lady in my forties with a caribean heritage. for the last year I have been practising bikram yoga after years of street running and damage to my Knees and hips. Bikram has taught me that running for miles a day to work my body is NOTHING in camparison to one session in that hot yoga. Believe me running was easy in comparison.Every session makes a marathon look easy.
What we black sister's and brothers need to remember is that exercise is not about colour its about you and your mental strength and your tenacity. When we can release ego and sterotypes for moments in time its is all about the self development. everyone needs to exercise just explore and find a regime that suits you forget everything else. For me hot yoga is now my preference of choice.

christina woodgreen london

 

post a comment